CityEngine: Transit Oriented Development
Module 2A: Transit Oriented Development
Procedurally design two alternatives for the development of the Delft station area using CityEngine.
Your task is to present decision makers with a visualisation of an alternative development strategy, which is based on the principles of transit oriented development (TOD). As source for the TOD principles, study the Transit-Oriented Development Guidelines of the city of Ottawa.
The city of Delft built during the last years a railway tunnel through its centre to replace the viaduct. Therefore, big areas on the surface became available for urban development. Due to the financial and real estate crises of the last years, the original plans are not going through as planned.
The aim of this exercise is that you are confronted with the challenges of using non prepared data and that you have to think about the workflow which you have to follow on your own. You will have the chance to discuss this with your tutors.
The goal of this exercise is to show how CityEngine can be used to visualise urban development strategies based on very few datasets.
Task 1: Visualise the existing plans
Project description and plans for the station area can be found here:
It is in Dutch, but you do not need to understand every detail. Use the images and videos to figure out the street networks, canal system, building heights and building typologies in the different parts of the area.
Task 2: Visualise an alternative development strategy
Use the earlier mentioned quidelines of the City of Ottawa to visualise an alternative for the station area. You do not need to take all 50 rules into consideration, focus on the rules dealing with density block size and similar basic aspects.
Use the data from the following sources:
- Buildings.shp (polygon): Building footprint from (BAG) http://www.kadaster.nl/bag
- Streets.shp (line): Streets from Top10NL: https://www.pdok.nl/nl/service/wmts-top10nl
- Water.shp (polygon) also from Top10NL
- AHN_2ruw1.tif (elevation image): https://www.pdok.nl/en/atomfeed/ahn2-05-meter-ruw-raster and http://www.ahn.nl/pagina/viewer.html
- AHN_2int1.tif (elevation image): https://www.pdok.nl/en/atomfeed/ahn2-05-meter-maaiveld-raster-opgevuld
- Arial image: Texture_station.png – Geo-referenced Google image.
Download Delft Station data containing above-mentioned files.
Hand in a presentation for a decision maker of the City of Delft, where you present a series of images to visualise the difference of the two development models (LOD 3).